File Saving

So- as promised I am trying to blog more about the current reflections, ponderings and progress in my voice over projects.
And today I decided that I would inquire minds about favorite "file saving" practices.
This is an example of my file saving procedure:

First: I create a new folder.  I title it with something clever, like the name of the audiobook, or the brand or company name. ;)
Then inside of that folder I create:

Raw Audio
I label a file folder:  1________Raw Audio.  (insert the name of the book, or commercial, company etc)
All raw audio (before any edits) are saved into this file.  I save them by chapter number, take #, etc
(ex: Folder title:  1_Memoirs_Raw Audio) I number the folders sequentially so that it makes them easier to find as they will be grouped numerically.
(ex: File title: Memoirs_ch_1_)

Rough Edit
I label a file folder:  2________Rough Edit
I open the raw audio file and before I even listen to it, I "Save As", and save the audio in the rough edit folder.  Then as I am doing any edits, I save often.  This means that any of my raw audio will remain untouched. If I make a mistake or happen to delete something, I always have the original audio to go back to.

Final Edit No Effects
I label a file folder:  3________Final Edit
I open the rough edit audio file and before I even listen to it, I "Save As", and save the audio in the final edit no effects folder.
This is where I do my final editing.  Yes, you can combine Rough Edit and Final edit.  This will depend on how you edit and your preference.  I would suggest that you (up to this point) at least have the Raw Audio and an Edited Audio folders. 

Final Edit Effects:  4________Final Edit Effects
I open the final edit no effects audio file and before I even listen to it, I "Save As", and save the audio in the final edit effects folder.
Yes, you guessed it, this is where I add any effects, gate, compression, Eq, etc.  

Wav File:  5________Wav 
I open the final edit effects audio file and before I even listen to it, I "Save As", and save the audio in the wav folder.
This is just for safe keeping incase I need a wav file.  Also I know that some of us out there use different software to create our audio.  Example would be Audacity.  If you save audio as a wav form then you can edit it with most any program.  A wav, I have been told, is better to edit from than an mp3.

and, you guessed it,

Mp3 File: 6_________Mp3
I open the final edit effects audio file and before I even listen to it, I "Save As", and save the audio in the mp3 folder. Now, this step may also depend on what program you are using to edit. But the mane objective is (in my opinion) to end up with an mp3 and or wav file without losing or manipulating your final edit with effects file saved in whatever program you edit with.  (ex: .aud for audacity, .band garage band etc)

This may seem like alot of multiple savings.  But at anytime I can go back and open up a file and have it be in whatever state I need.  If I clip a word during editing, I can always go back and get the original audio.  If I don't like how an effect makes the audio sound, I can go back to a fully edited audio file and try my luck again.  
I also back all of the data on a separate external hard drive.  If I take the information off of my computer, I make a back up copy onto another drive before I delete it from my computer.
Let me know your file saving secrets! I'd love to hear some fresh ideas.

Lets Talk Soon-


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Its Official! I Will Be Directing....